So you are on your way to one of the oldest cities in the world, but are totally unsure what to do once you are there. Don’t worry, this article will tell you about all the great places you need to visit to make your trip to Lisbon a memorable one.
8 Best Things to Do in Lisbon1. The Belem Tower: Built in the early 1500s, the Belem Tower is Lisbon’s icon and a symbol of the Age of Discovery, and is one of the most visited places in the city.
2. The Oceanarium: With a large collection of marine species ó animals, birds, fish, plants, and other marine organisms totaling about 16,000 individuals of 450 species, the Lisbon Oceanarium is a must-see for every tourist.
3. Berardo Museum: The Berardo Museum boasts having one of Europe’s greatest modern art collections, including masterpieces by Picasso, Andy Warhol, and Dali among others.
4. Bairro Alto Lisbon’s cultural heart, Bairro Alto is the nightlife and shopping mecca of the city. With sleek, modern bars, stylish fashion shops and a multitude of colorful, graffiti-sprayed facades, Bairro Alto is a must-visit.
5. The Ancient Art Museum: The Ancient Art Museum contains a great collection of Oriental and European artworks, mostly related to the Age of Discovery.
6. GraÁa Parish GraÁa Parishis the favorite hangout of the local youth, and offers some of the best views in the whole city. Prepare to be mesmerized by the stunning views that sweep over the entire city.
7. The Golden Baroque Trio: This is the world’s largest collection of royal carriages and should be seen after a visit to two other golden baroque attractions: S„o Roque Church and Santa Catarina Church.
8. Jeronimos Monastry: This is a magnificent monastry, and contains the resting place of Vasco da Gama as a part of it. Its cloisters are considered to be among the best and most beautiful in the world, and it has also been listed as a World Heritage Site.
Photo credit: Fr Antunes via Flickr